Yeah! Thanks to everyone who linked up last week. SO many delicious recipes and fabulous pictures! I think I was able to get around and comment on everyones...although I've been having lots of trouble with commenting (anyone else????) The only way I can seem to comment is browsing through firefox.. this is a new problem and not something I am loving recently! Anyway....on to this weeks recipe and party.
Authentic Fried Rice
I'm calling it this because I was taught this by my dear Chinese friend Grace. (one of the benefits of living in Hong Kong!)
1. Start with OLD rice. I never knew this until my cooking lesson. I guess the best is day old rice. You want it a bit dried out. Although if I forget I just make it earlier in the day and let it sit out for a couple of hours to dry, nice... I use brown rice with barley and millet as the base for all my rice recipes. The millet and barley probably make up 1/4 of the mix.
2. Choose your veggies. I use string mushrooms, some leftover broccoli, zucchini, onion, and some frozen veggies for convenience. You can also add tofu, bean curd (the firm kind), and ANY of your favorite vegetables!
3. Meat? I don't usually add meat, but I was trying to make it a meal. You can use beef or chicken. I cooked my beef in a little soy sauce (light)
You will need olive oil and soy sauce.
4. Get your vegetables frying in a large pan (wok) with olive oil. Start with those that will take the most time and add the softer veggies as you go. The goal is to have them all soft cooked at the same time. You can add a bit of water if needed to simmer, but not too much.
5. Cook up a few eggs. I used three here. They look a bit brown because I fried them in the beef fat and soy sauce pan, yum!
6. When the veggies are ready, add the rice and egg cooking it all until warm. Add soy sauce over the whole thing as you are cooking for flavor. Also a bit of sea salt is a great addition.
Here's mine without the meat (I just put that on top of each portion)
Okay, enough about me... onto YOU! Here are my favorites from last week (although it was HARD to choose!)
Please grab a button if you were featured!